So tommorrow marks the big cross-over from the embryonic phase to officially becoming a fetus! Well fetuses. Actaully, based on u/s...that happened last week.
We had our first appointment with the OB/MFM this week. It still feels fradulent to be sitting amongst "regular" pregnant women. I felt out of place....like I just didn't belong there.
Feelings aside, we got to see our two beans again. I must admit, I was a little nervous that one of them wasn't going to have a heartbeat or worse, neither of them would have a heart beat. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. I suppose that is the curse of IF.
The nurse did the measurements and both babies were measuring ahead of schedule which if fantastic. There was some discussion about my due date being a little bit off based on the date of our embryo transfer....but the doctor said "It doesn't matter because you won't make it that far anyways." So we will be leaving it at October 7th. So according to the fertility clinic I was 9 weeks 5 days and according to the OB (and the measurements of the babies) I was 10 weeks 1 day.
Both little hearts were fluttering away. 174 and 176 respectively.
And now for a shout out to my fertility clinic that missed the fact that I had a SUBCHORIONIC HEMATOMA!!!! Thats right...after all of those tears and stress of thinking I was having a MC, there was a source of the bleeding after all. The doctor said it is now measuring 1mm and that it is nothing to worry about. Whew. Would have been nice to know when I was bleeding for 3 straight weeks!
I asked my long list of questions.....one of which DH was especially pleased with: "When can we stop pelvic rest?" The doctor (who was about 65 years old mind you) looked at his watch and said, well at least wait till you get to the car. I had to hold back the gigantic laugh I wanted to let out! Then DH and the doctor high-fived. I know, I know...sounds like the scene from a sitcom...true story though.
I also asked about having a cercalage-doc said won't be necessary because I will be monitored so closely since we are having twins. I also asked about c-section vs. natural birth-doc said they will respect whatever we would like to do, however there is a tendency with twins for baby B to flip breech after baby A is delivered. (We are leaning towards a planned c-section at this....yeah I know I am a horrible person....deal with it!).
We had an uneventful meeting with a nurse who told us everything we already knew about pregnancy (what not to eat, what not to do, what medicines not to take). I kind of wanted to shake her and say "These babies cost us 30K to conceive...don't you think we've done our research...afterall I'm not 18, clueless as to who the baby dady is, and living on welfare."
That about sums it up. We will be going back next Friday for our NT scan. We are opting to not do the tri-screen because it doesn't give us any information specific to one baby...and truth be told...the results of the tests will not alter our decision to continue this pregnancy.
Here are the most recent pics of our little bambinos: